Positioning Different Roles in Space
An imagined spatial triangle of roles: teacher, artist, researcher
- Where do you position yourself in this triangle, in space? Move to that place.
- Looking around: how does the map of people look like now?
- To reflect, demonstrate, and become aware of one’s position in relation to specific roles, identities or themes.
- May be used with people of different ages and backgrounds
- At the Hanze University of Applied Sciences, this reflection is used when students apply to the arts pedagogy master program, and later, at the beginning of the studies. Later in the study program, the same exercise is used again: How has my position changed during my course of study?
- The same idea may be used in relation to different roles or topics
- Returning to the same question at different times brings awareness of possible shifts in one’s position, identity or attitude.
Authors: Gudrun Beckmann and Nathalie Beekman, Hanze University of Applied Sciences Groningen, Netherlands.